Squirrels can really be a nuisance especially if they are within the vicinity of your residence. They chew up on wires, eat bulbs in the garden and do a whole lot of mess. You can use repellents to chase away the squirrels or poison them, but you need to acquire permission to do so. Traps and repellent are harmless ways of getting rid of these cute tiny furry mammals when they become menaces. Types of squirrels found in urban areas.
Homemade Squirrel Traps
There are various types of traps which you could create at home to help you stop the squirrels from ruining your garden as well as destroying the wiring system at home. Traps are easy to make and you could use some household items lying around to catch and move them out of your house. Mentioned below are a few traps you could come up with and guidelines to help you make them. You can also use Homemade Squirrel Repellents to get rid of Squirrels.
Check Out, "Do Your Own Pest Control"
- 1 large box
- Some woods to make a pulley
- A string
- 2 stick. 1 Long and 1 Short
- Keep one end of the box open and make small hole at the upper level of the opposite end of the box.
- Cut the Cardboard according to the size of the open side of the box. So that it can be triggered to fall down easily
- Place the stick at the top of the box in a way where it covers both side of the box. (from the door to the Hole)
- Bind a small stick which goes down through the hole you made and keep it in front of the Nuts.
- Place the Nuts near the end of the box to increase the chances of trapping the squirrel(s) efficiently.
- When the squirrel is inside the box and approaching for the Nuts, he will touch the trigger stick and make the Cardboard to fall down and close the door.
- Carry the box and relocate the Squirrel to a safe place.
Check out this video to Make The Homemade Squirrel Trap perfectly,
And this is our strategy……
DIY PVC Trap
- PVC materials; 3 cylindrical pipes 2 feet each, 1elbow shaped pipe, pipe cap, adapter and coupling fittings, clean out plug.
- A jar of peanut butter
- Nuts, washers, screws and wing nuts
- Power drill
- Cooking oil
NB: The PVC materials should be of the same diameter so as to fit together.
- Use the power drill to make holes on the base pipe, ¼ inch diameter 6 inches from the end.
- Thread the clean out plug to the adapter fitting and attach it to one end of the base pipe. Attach the elbow shaped pipe to the other end.
- Drill 2 holes on the top pipe, directly across each other on opposite sides. Screw both holes using the nuts, place the washers on the outside and the wing nuts on the inside.
- Attach the coupling fitting on one end of the top pipe
- Fix the middle PVC pipe on the open end of the top base and on the open elbow shaped pipe fixed to the base pipe.
- Spray the oil on the top and middle pipes and smear peanut butter inside the top pipe.
- Choose a location outside where squirrels are highly concentrated and wait to catch some.
You might be interested in, "what kills squirrels"
Buy Squirrel Traps
If you are not the kind of person to create your own traps, there are a variety of available readymade traps at amazon.com. The most common cages are those made by Havahart e.g.
A one or two door cage traps with smaller mesh wires than other similar cages to prevent the squirrels from getting away. Its patented design has an ideal gravity action door and sensitive trigger to ensure efficiency in trapping the small critters. The solid doors and handle guards protect the users when transporting them and its smoothed internal edges protects the mammals from injury. It is also rust resistant thus long lasting.
Havahart Squirrel Trap (Cage)
Procter Pest-Shop is a traditional device for humane trapping of squirrels alongside similar sized pests. It is designed in a way that both professional and amateur pest controllers can easily use it. It is made with a very high standard from corrosion resistant galvanized wire and sheet steel hence suitable for outdoor use. Has entrance doors on both ends to lure cautious squirrels into the trap and take the bait. Alongside are instructions and tips on how to put the cage in use.
If you have been experiencing squirrel disturbances, don’t hesitate to follow the above insights to bring around peace in your residence.